West Palm Beach Custody Issues Lawyer
Regardless of whether parents maintain an intact marital or romantic relationship, they both still have rights and responsibilities regarding minor children. As a result, Florida child custody laws apply to divorce and paternity cases, as well as any other legal proceedings affecting the interests of children. Contrary to misconceptions, custody is not just about where the child lives. The concept centers on how parents make the important decisions regarding raising the child.
Even when parents love and support their children, they may not always agree on these decisions. You have important rights as a parent, so it is critical to have legal counsel to protect them. At The Law Office of Taryn G. Sinatra, Esq., our team is committed to helping you achieve your goals and enhance your relationship with your child. Please contact us to set up a consultation with a West Palm Beach custody issues lawyer. A summary of the relevant concepts is also useful.
Overview of Florida Custody Laws
Child custody covers how parents make decisions in the important areas of a child’s life, including:
- Medical care and insurance;
- Extracurricular activities;
- Travel and entertainment;
- Online time and gaming; and,
- Many others.
Because there is a preference for both parents to have a relationship with the child, joint child custody is the most common arrangement. However, the key is whether the custody arrangement serves the child’s best interests. There are numerous factors that a judge is required to consider when deciding child custody, and they generally relate to supporting the child’s well-being, development, and socialization.
Even with joint custody, the child may primarily reside with one parent. The nonresidential parent will have the right to exercise parenting time and visitation. He or she will likely be required to pay child support, which works according to statutory guidelines.
Legal Help with Child Custody Options
The Law Office of Taryn G. Sinatra, Esq. is knowledgeable about these cases and committed to helping you achieve your goals. A South Florida child custody lawyer will counsel you on the different options:
- Settlement: Parents are encouraged to agree on custody, so you are free to negotiate an arrangement that works for your family. Settlement is less costly, less risky, and takes less time than litigation.
- Mediation: To further settlement discussions, you may benefit from participating in mediation. During the process, a trained mediator guides you in conversations toward compromise.
- Contested Hearings: For remaining disputes, you must go before the court for a trial. The judge will consider all evidence and the child’s best interests, and then make a decision on custody.
A West Palm Beach Custody Lawyer Will Advise You
Your relationship with your child is precious, so you must employ all possible strategies to protect it. To learn more about how we can assist with child custody issues, please contact The Law Office of Taryn G. Sinatra, Esq. We can schedule a case analysis with a West Palm Beach child custody lawyer. After learning about your circumstances, we will advise you on options.